Gadkari regrets Vivekananda-Dawood remark
New Delhi: Having caused much damage to his party’s credibility, BJP president Nitin Gadkari on Tuesday expressed regret for comparing the IQ level of renowned spiritual leader Vivekananda to fugitive underworld don Dawood Ibrahim.
According to reports, Gadkari’s office today issued an apology, saying he never compared Swami Vivekananda with anyone and said that he had no intention to project the spiritual guru in a bad light.
"If my words about Swami Vivekananda have hurt the public sentiments in any manner, I express my sincere regrets. I am deeply pained to note that my words have been taken out of context to create confusion”, the statement released by Gadkari’s office said.
The Nagpur leader was also quoted as saying in the letter that his personal reverence for Swami Vivekananda was second to none.
Gadkari’s apology has come at a time when several top BJP leaders have expressed their displeasure in his continuing as the party president after serious allegations of graft were levelled against him.
Earlier today, BJP leader Ram Jethmalani also slammed him for continuing as BJP chief and asked him to quit and wait till his name is cleared of all charges of corruption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015