Gadkari regrets Vivekananda-Dawood remark
New Delhi: Having caused much damage to his party’s credibility, BJP president Nitin Gadkari on Tuesday expressed regret for comparing the IQ level of renowned spiritual leader Vivekananda to fugitive underworld don Dawood Ibrahim.
According to reports, Gadkari’s office today issued an apology, saying he never compared Swami Vivekananda with anyone and said that he had no intention to project the spiritual guru in a bad light.
"If my words about Swami Vivekananda have hurt the public sentiments in any manner, I express my sincere regrets. I am deeply pained to note that my words have been taken out of context to create confusion”, the statement released by Gadkari’s office said.
The Nagpur leader was also quoted as saying in the letter that his personal reverence for Swami Vivekananda was second to none.
Gadkari’s apology has come at a time when several top BJP leaders have expressed their displeasure in his continuing as the party president after serious allegations of graft were levelled against him.
Earlier today, BJP leader Ram Jethmalani also slammed him for continuing as BJP chief and asked him to quit and wait till his name is cleared of all charges of corruption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Mamata condoles Mahasweta Devi's passing
- Pope Francis falls in Poland, escapes injury
- Xiaomi Redmi Pro with dual rear cameras, OLED display, 128GB memory launched
- UNBELIEVABLE BUT TRUE: In this Pakistani town, guns are cheaper than smartphones!
- Jacqueline Fernandez dates a superhero! Brand new poster of Tiger Shroff's 'A Flying Jatt' is super cute- See poster