Gadkari seeks more time from I-T department for appearance
Nagpur: BJP president Nitin Gadkari, who was asked by the Income Tax department to appear before it today in connection with the probe into alleged dubious investments in Purti group of companies, has sought more time to present his case.
Citing his preoccupation with party work as the reason for his inability to appear before the tax authorities, he sought fresh time, official sources said.
They said he has now been asked to appear on February one.
The sources said that two authorised representatives of Gadkari met I-T officials here and submitted a 25-page document in reply to department`s question regarding his personal transactions and investments related to the Purti group of companies and few others.
Gadkari was not immediately available for comment while the BJP declined to give any reaction. Gadkari has denied allegations of any wrongdoing and said that he has resigned from the Purti Group sometime back.
The I-T department had earlier issued summons for appearance to Gadkari in the second half of this month as the taxman was probing alleged tax evasion case against him and his group of companies.
Gadkari has been asked for his personal appearance so that he can be confronted with the documents and probe conducted by the I-T in this regard in the last few months.
The department has been probing various firms that invested in Gadkari`s company Purti Power and Sugar Limited (PPSL).
The department, according to sources, has allegedly found the details of almost 30 companies that have been "in transactions" with PPSL.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...