Gadkari seeks more time from I-T department for appearance
Nagpur: BJP president Nitin Gadkari, who was asked by the Income Tax department to appear before it today in connection with the probe into alleged dubious investments in Purti group of companies, has sought more time to present his case.
Citing his preoccupation with party work as the reason for his inability to appear before the tax authorities, he sought fresh time, official sources said.
They said he has now been asked to appear on February one.
The sources said that two authorised representatives of Gadkari met I-T officials here and submitted a 25-page document in reply to department`s question regarding his personal transactions and investments related to the Purti group of companies and few others.
Gadkari was not immediately available for comment while the BJP declined to give any reaction. Gadkari has denied allegations of any wrongdoing and said that he has resigned from the Purti Group sometime back.
The I-T department had earlier issued summons for appearance to Gadkari in the second half of this month as the taxman was probing alleged tax evasion case against him and his group of companies.
Gadkari has been asked for his personal appearance so that he can be confronted with the documents and probe conducted by the I-T in this regard in the last few months.
The department has been probing various firms that invested in Gadkari`s company Purti Power and Sugar Limited (PPSL).
The department, according to sources, has allegedly found the details of almost 30 companies that have been "in transactions" with PPSL.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram