`Gallantry winners misusing sops given to them`
New Delhi: The Centre may review the policy of extending privileges to gallantry award winners for air and rail travel and other benefits, a move that comes in the backdrop of allegations against Team Anna member Kiran Bedi that she fudged her airfare invoices.
The Centre is concerned over "misuse" of freebies given to gallantry award winners, a senior government official said.
"This is a question of moral turpitude. One has to think over it. In the government, we may have to think over the privileges offered to gallantry award winners if the freebies are being misused. I think the time has come," the official said.
The benefits are provided by various government departments and ministries, including civil aviation and railways.
It has been alleged that former IPS officer Bedi used her gallantry medal to get 75 per cent discount on Air India tickets and then submitted inflated invoices to claim full fare from organisers who invited her to speak at various fora.
Officials said there may not be complete withdrawal of privileges but a stringent mechanism would be put in place to stop its misuse and ensure that only the actual gallantry award winners get the benefits after producing proper documents.
Each year more than a hundred police and defence personnel are awarded gallantry awards in different categories.
Apart from other benefits, the award winners are entitled to free travel in Railway AC two tier coach with a companion for unlimited time and 75 per cent concessions in travel in Air India planes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read