Game of numbers for the 5th time in Jharkhand
Ranchi: The Congress lost the battle to
BJP in the numbers game for the second time in five years
after the saffron party threw its weight behind JMM chief
Shibu Soren in his bid to form a government in Jharkhand.
The game began in 2005 when the elections left a hung
assembly and the Congress and RJD had lent support to Soren
for government formation.
Soren`s government, however, lasted only nine days as
the BJP cobbled up the numbers to put the NDA government in
The BJP secured support of two MLAs of AJSU and five
Independent MLAs as well.
This time the BJP remained silent for the first two
days after announcement of election results on December 23.
Former BJP president Rajnath Singh was camping here
here yesterday when the the Congress, reacted a bit too late
to secure support.
PCC President Pradeep Kumar Balmachu reached AJSU
President Sudhesh Mahto`s residence when he had submitted his
letter of support to Soren yesterday.
The Arjun Munda-led NDA government had also lost the
numbers game midway in 2006 when Independent MLA Madhu Koda,
who secured support of Independent MLAs, pulled out and formed
his own government with the outside support of the Congress
and the RJD, while the JMM joined his government.
Koda, however, lost the game in 2008 when Soren insisted
that the former make way for him.
Soren, who was not a member of the assembly, in turn had
to quit as CM on January 12 after he lost a byelection through
which he would have entered the House, leading to imposition
of President`s Rule.
It is the third time that Soren has staked claim for
chief ministership as a Lok Sabha member.
As per constitutional experts, Soren may have to wait for
some time before President`s Rule, imposed on January 19, is
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez