Gandhi auction: Padmashree writer threatens protest
Kanpur: Concerned over no action being taken to preserve documents and other valuable belongings of Mahatma Gandhi, Noted writer and Gandhian Giriraj Kishore has threatened to launch a protest preventing sale of such articles of historic importance, scheduled for later in May in London.
Kishore, a Padmashri awardee, had on previous occasion written to Congress president Sonia Gandhi, who in a reply to his letter dated July 10, 2012 assured him of taking up the issue with the Cultural Ministry to device policies to prevent auction of belongings of Mahatma Gandhi and other freedom fighters of India.
However, Kishore alleges that no such action has been taken yet and another auction is scheduled for May 21 in London, UK.
The articles on sale include Gandhi`s will and power of attorney which he wrote in 1921, a series of important letters, personal drinking cup and ivory-carved `Three Wise Monkeys`.
On April 17, 2012 when several belongings of Mahatma Gandhi including spectacles, letter, spinning wheel, a watch and blades of grass stained with Gandhi`s blood was being auctioned in London, Kishore had written to former president Pratibha Patil. He was given an assurance of a probe into the matter.
It had also assured him that the matter would be taken up by the External Affairs and Home ministries for investigations. Kishore alleged he had also written to the Prime Minister`s office and Cultural Ministry but did not get any response from there.
After his continuing efforts to get a policy ended up in vain he decided to give away his Padmashri honour back. He approached the Kanpur district head and the commissioner on the same but they refused to take the award back.
The noted writer has threatened to sit on demonstrations in protest of lack of action being taken to prevent auction of such articles which are of cultural and historic importance to the country. Kishore has also published a book on preserving the articles belonging to Mahatma Gandhi titled "Freeing Gandhi from auction."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!