Gandhi statue unveiled at New South Wales univ
Melbourne: A bronze statue of Mahatma
Gandhi has been unveiled in the University of New South Wales
in Sydney, as a mark of close ties the Indian community has
The sculpture that stands in the lawns of the library
of the University was gifted to the institution by the Indian
government, along with a collection of books, an official
Sydney-based Indian diplomat Amit Dasgupta, who had
presented the gifts in October last year when the crisis
related to attacks on India students was at its peak,
acknowledged the work being done by the University in
maintaining close relations with the Indian community and
providing a safe environment for Indian students.
At the unveiling, Dasgupta said education and
globalisation are both key in spreading messages against
"Gandhi was born in India, but he belongs to each
and every one of you," he said, speaking of his message of
Vice-Chancellor Fred Hilmer said the sculpture that
stands in one of the most prominent places at the University
has already attracted much interest from students.
Dasgupta, the Vice-Chancellor and the Treasurer of NSW
Eric Roozendaal unveiled the sculpture in the presence of the
University members and people from the Indian community.
The event was held on the 100th anniversary of Wattle
Day that is celebrated on September 1.
Wattles are the first plants that rise from the ashes
of bushfires and provide protection for other seedlings.
"Wattle is to be a lasting symbol of student safety
at UNSW," Pro-Vice-Chancellor Jennie Lang said, adding, the
plant will be grown around campus as a message of goodwill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read