Gandhians, activists write to Hazare over his Modi praise
Ahmedabad: Veteran Gandhians and
activists have written to Anna Hazare, saying that claims of
rural development made by Gujarat under Chief Minister
Narendra Modi were false and the noted anti-corruption
crusader needs to correct his statement about the BJP leader.
Hazare had yesterday praised Modi and Bihar CM Nitish
Kumar for their efforts on rural development, and said their
counterparts in other states should emulate them.
"We would like to add here that your statement
regarding development in rural area requires a thorough
correction. The development crazy Narendra Modi has done a
great harm to the rural area," veteran Gandhian Chunibhai
Vaidya and other activists, including Prakash Shah, Ilabahen
Pathak and Indukumar Jani, said in a letter to Hazare.
"He (Modi) is responsible for the desertion of the
villages by more than 10 per cent of the population which
includes mainly youth; this we say from the statistics of the
Census recently concluded," Vaidya added.
So far as the corruption problem is concerned, it
should be noted that crores of square meters of land had been
allotted to the industries at throwaway prices, he said.
Vaidya invited Hazare to visit Gujarat and "report to
the country the facts clouded by the trumpets of the state".
Meanwhile, noted danseuse Mallika Sarabhai wrote an
email to Hazare, expressing her shock at the veteran social
activist`s endorsement of Modi on rural development front.
"There has been little or no rural development in this
state. In fact, grazing and irrigated farmlands have been
stealthily taken by the Government and sold off at ridiculous
prices to a small club of industrialists," she said.
"The state is in terrible debt because of his (Modi)
largess to industry, while 21 lakh farmers wait for
compensation. Your endorsement is appalling and we will be
forced to distance ourselves from the Lokpal movement unless
it is irrevocably retracted," she said.
Sarabhai further said that there has been no Lokayukta
in Gujarat for nearly seven years and hence hundreds of
complaints against corruption are lying unheard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof