‘Gandhism need to be promoted among children’
Hyderabad: Stressing that Gandhian values
are more relevant in the present times, Union Health Minister
Ghulam Nabi Azad on Sunday said there is a need to promote the
teachings of the Father of Nation among school children.
"The teachings of Gandhiji are relevant because of
more violence. Similarly, how many people would speak the
truth today? So, truth and non-violence are more required
today. Other Gandhian values like social equality are also
relevant," he said at the diamond jubilee celebrations of the
Bhoodan movement of freedom fighter Acharya Vinoba Bhave, a
staunch follower of Mahatma Gandhi.
The meeting was organised by Gandhi Global Family
which is headed by Azad.
"It may not be relevant to say that I will not wear
full clothes on the body. But the ideas of truth and
non-violence need to be followed even today," he said.
Recalling that he tried to promote Gandhi`s teachings
among school children by conducting competitions during his
tenure as Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir, Azad said a
similar exercise can be conducted in Andhra Pradesh and
"If something is possible in Jammu and Kashmir, you
can do it on the moon as well. We held symposia in all schools
and colleges across the state. We could involve eight to 10
lakh students. I feel non-violence needs to be campaigned in
Andhra Pradesh as well," the health minister said.
Hailing freedom fighter Vinoba Bhave, he said the
former`s spirit of charity, donation and sharing is relevant
"If donating land is not possible, charity can happen
in other forms like money and education. We can donate in
other 100 ways," Azad said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy