Ganesh mandals asked to be alert during festival in Mumbai
Mumbai: In the wake of the Intelligence Bureau (IB) report of a possible threat on the western coast, the civic body is leaving no stone unturned and has appealed to all Ganesh mandals in the city to be proactive and co-operate with the police department with security measures.
"The security department of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) does not provide any type of security cover to Ganesh Mandals," BMC`s Joint Security Officer S Kulkarni told reporters.
"The civic body has instructed the ganesh mandals to be on high alert and keep an eye on suspicious activities and if required our security personnel will be deployed at
important mandals," Kulkarni said.
Kulkarni further said, the municipal security personnel of the BMC are posted for duties at several corporation-run places including hospitals, ward offices,
schools and colleges among other places.
"Policing the ganesh mandals is not our job. It is the job of the police and the home department. We have asked the Ganesh mandals to take necessary precautionary steps during the festival like installing CCTVs and metal detectors," Additional Municipal Commissioner Madhav Sangle said.
"We have also asked the mandals to provide training to their volunteers as well. We would try and ensure that the volunteers would be trained by various officials in handling emergency situations as there is always a huge turn-out during
this festival in the metropolis," Sangle said.
"We would use Coast Guard services like naval boats to be brought in on immersion days at important beaches in the city," he said.
However, Joint Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) K L Prasad said, "As of now I do not want to comment on security as the festival is 23 days away from now and we would make an official announcement about providing security arrangements at Ganesh mandals a week ago."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown