Ganeshotsav, Eid celebrated with fervor, gaiety
Mumbai/New Delhi: The festivals of Ganesh Chaturthi and Eid-ul-Fitr are being celebrated on Saturday with traditional fervor and religious devotion.
In Mumbai, the chants of ``Ganpati bappa moraya`` could be heard from every nook and corner of the city. Also known as Vinayak Chaturthi, this festival is celebrated as the birthday of Lord Ganesha.
Shops in the city are overcrowded with people buying items associated with the festival. People are also opting for eco-friendly idols, keeping concerns for the environment in mind.
Meanwhile, security in the city has been beefed up keeping in mind the rush of devotees during the festival.
On Friday, Mumbai Police released pictures of two foreign terror suspects, who may disrupt celebrations at religious places. Advisories have been issued to citizens to be on alert during the festive season.
Meanwhile, in Uttar Pradesh and New Delhi, Muslims dressed in their best, have started thronging different Eidgahs, shrines and mosques to offer special Eid prayers to mark the end of the fasting month of Ramzan.
Eidgah, famous mosques and Muslims houses have been neatly decorated for the occasion.
Ramzan is observed during the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part II
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part III
- India is 35th member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Wimbledon: World No. 223 dumps out Ana Ivanovic in first round
- Wimbledon 2016: Novak Djokovic begins title defence with a solid victory
- Shiva Thapa, Manoj Kumar can win gold at Rio Olympics: Vikas Krishan
- Rajinikanth doing well, in US for medical test: Brother
- Pakistan admits stalling India's NSG bid; says will not back down from 'principled stand' on Kashmir