Gang-rape: Tirath assures speedy justice to victim`s family
New Delhi: Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath on Wednesday visited a city hospital to inquire about the condition of the 23-year-old gang-rape victim and assured the distraught family of speedy justice.
"I have assured them that whatever is the expense of the treatment, the Central government will bear it. I want that my own ministry should follow the day to day developments in court and in two months a verdict should be pronounced," Tirath told reporters at the Safdarjung Hospital here.
She said the incident is "very shameful for the country and the women of the country".
When asked about the condition of the victim, Tirath said she could only see her from a distance as the victim has been kept in a separate room to prevent infection.
"The victim had cried when her father met her," she said.
Tirath said that the harshest possible punishment should be given to culprits in such crimes.
"Her parents were asked and they have very bluntly said that they want maximum punishment. Women members of Parliament have also said that...A verdict should be given in a couple of months so that everyone knows what happens to people who perpetrate such acts," Tirath said.
The WCD minister added that she had also written a letter to the Home Minister over the incident raising concerns about the safety of women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH