Gang-rape: Tirath assures speedy justice to victim`s family
New Delhi: Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath on Wednesday visited a city hospital to inquire about the condition of the 23-year-old gang-rape victim and assured the distraught family of speedy justice.
"I have assured them that whatever is the expense of the treatment, the Central government will bear it. I want that my own ministry should follow the day to day developments in court and in two months a verdict should be pronounced," Tirath told reporters at the Safdarjung Hospital here.
She said the incident is "very shameful for the country and the women of the country".
When asked about the condition of the victim, Tirath said she could only see her from a distance as the victim has been kept in a separate room to prevent infection.
"The victim had cried when her father met her," she said.
Tirath said that the harshest possible punishment should be given to culprits in such crimes.
"Her parents were asked and they have very bluntly said that they want maximum punishment. Women members of Parliament have also said that...A verdict should be given in a couple of months so that everyone knows what happens to people who perpetrate such acts," Tirath said.
The WCD minister added that she had also written a letter to the Home Minister over the incident raising concerns about the safety of women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!