Gangotri yatra remains suspended for eighth day
Dehra Dun: The pilgrimage to the Himalayan
shrine of Gangotri could not be resumed for the eighth
consecutive day on Sunday as heavy landslides that hit the
national highway leading to the shrine are yet to be cleared,
However, the yatra to Badrinath, Kedarnath and Yamunotri
was resumed last evening after remaining suspended for a day
due to the landslides, they said.
The landslides, following heavy rains, had struck the
Rishikesh-Gangotri national highway at Sainj area of
Uttarkashi district on August 7, also washing away a stretch
of nearly 80 meters into Bhagirathi river.
The BRO and police personnel are working round-the-clock
to clear the debris and construct the road to resume movement
of vehicular traffic, the officials said.
The blockade of the route to the shrine has left hundreds
of pilgrims stranded. The state government has claimed that
all arrangements for their food and lodging are in place.
Meanwhile, light to moderate rains continued to lash most
parts of Uttarakhand with Met office here predicting rains to
continue at many places for another day while isolated places
might also receive heavy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared