Gangotri yatra remains suspended for eighth day
Dehra Dun: The pilgrimage to the Himalayan
shrine of Gangotri could not be resumed for the eighth
consecutive day on Sunday as heavy landslides that hit the
national highway leading to the shrine are yet to be cleared,
However, the yatra to Badrinath, Kedarnath and Yamunotri
was resumed last evening after remaining suspended for a day
due to the landslides, they said.
The landslides, following heavy rains, had struck the
Rishikesh-Gangotri national highway at Sainj area of
Uttarkashi district on August 7, also washing away a stretch
of nearly 80 meters into Bhagirathi river.
The BRO and police personnel are working round-the-clock
to clear the debris and construct the road to resume movement
of vehicular traffic, the officials said.
The blockade of the route to the shrine has left hundreds
of pilgrims stranded. The state government has claimed that
all arrangements for their food and lodging are in place.
Meanwhile, light to moderate rains continued to lash most
parts of Uttarakhand with Met office here predicting rains to
continue at many places for another day while isolated places
might also receive heavy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!