Gangotri yatra remains suspended for eighth day
Dehra Dun: The pilgrimage to the Himalayan
shrine of Gangotri could not be resumed for the eighth
consecutive day on Sunday as heavy landslides that hit the
national highway leading to the shrine are yet to be cleared,
However, the yatra to Badrinath, Kedarnath and Yamunotri
was resumed last evening after remaining suspended for a day
due to the landslides, they said.
The landslides, following heavy rains, had struck the
Rishikesh-Gangotri national highway at Sainj area of
Uttarkashi district on August 7, also washing away a stretch
of nearly 80 meters into Bhagirathi river.
The BRO and police personnel are working round-the-clock
to clear the debris and construct the road to resume movement
of vehicular traffic, the officials said.
The blockade of the route to the shrine has left hundreds
of pilgrims stranded. The state government has claimed that
all arrangements for their food and lodging are in place.
Meanwhile, light to moderate rains continued to lash most
parts of Uttarakhand with Met office here predicting rains to
continue at many places for another day while isolated places
might also receive heavy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Twitter has paid $322,420 to bug hunters so far
- Sell your old car for scrap and get freebies from government
- IPL 2016 Final: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs SunRisers Hyderabad — Possible XIs, Date, Time, Venue, TV Listing, Live Streaming
- Saif Ali Khan, Rani Mukerji's 'Hum Tum' ticks 12 years!
- Not most fashionable but carry myself well: Fawad Khan