Ganguly declines comments on PC verdict
New Delhi: Justice (retd) Asok Kumar Ganguly,
who along with Justice G S Singhvi, cancelled 122 2G licenses,
Saturday refused to comment on CBI court`s decision to throw out
Janata Party president Subramaniam Swamy`s plea to make Home
Minister P Chidambaram an accused in the case.
Ganguly, who demitted office on Friday after delivering
the crucial judgement, said "I don`t want to say anything on
the lower court`s decision...because that might be decided in
a higher court."
A Delhi court today threw out Swamy`s plea to make the
Union Home Minister an accused in the 2G case holding that he
did not indulge in any criminal conspiracy or derive any
pecuniary advantage from the decisions taken with former
telecom minister A Raja.
On government`s perceived inaction in 2G scam, Justice
Ganguly said, "It is difficult to know why government didn`t
auction. We have now given guidelines. We hope government
Asked whether Raja was being made a
scapegoat, the former apex court judge said he has no inkling
"We don`t know who is being protected. We have come to a
conclusion (judgement)", he added.
Justice Ganguly, however, said sanction for prosecution
of corrupt officials must be seriously considered as otherwise
it would erode people`s confidence in the rule of law.
"Protection is given to a public official to work
fearlessly. But when prima facie cases exist against public
officials, grant of sanction should be seriously considered.
"Sitting over sanction is not good for rule of law. If
government delays sanction in prima facie corruption cases,
people`s faith gets drained out", he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days