Garg murder: Oz court rejects convict`s appeal
Melbourne: An Australian court on Tuesday rejected an appeal of the Melbourne teenager who was sentenced to 13 years in jail for killing Indian student Nitin Garg, a crime which outraged public opinion in India and put the bilateral relations under stress.
The teenager, who was 15-year-old at the time of incident in 2010, had appealed claiming the sentence was `manifestly excessive`, given his extreme youth, guilty plea and unintentional nature of crime, Australian news agency AAP reported.
Justices Marcia Neave, Peter Buchanan and Bernard Bongiorno of the Victorian Court of Appeal rejected his plea.
Buchanan said the sentencing judge, Paul Coghlan, had struck the appropriate balance between the boy`s age and the gravity of his crimes.
The teenager, whose name has not been revealed due to his age, stabbed 21-year-old Garg to death during an attempt to rob him of his mobile phone as he walked through local Park in suburb of Yarraville in January 2010.
After pleading guilty to murder and to a charge of attempted armed robbery, he was jailed by the Victorian Supreme Court for 13 years, with a non-parole period of eight years.
Garg`s murder shook Australia`s international education sector to its foundations and triggered a diplomatic storm between New Delhi and Canberra.
While sentencing the boy, the court noticed that Garg`s killing was not racial motivated.
Justice Coghlan said he accepted the boy was remorseful and had no intention to kill when he went to the park.
He said Garg was "an innocent and random victim" and it was his presence in the park, not his race, that led to him being attacked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India