Gas leak in Mumbai; 103 fall sick, probe ordered
Mumbai: Nearly 103 persons fell sick
early today after inhaling chlorine gas leaking from a
cylinder stored in Bombay Port Trust (BPT) premises at Sewri
prompting BPT, police and Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation
to begin a joint probe into the incident.
All the affected persons were taken to King Edward
Memorial hospital, JJ hospital and BPT hospital, police and
fire brigade sources said, adding, they included college
students, BPT staff and firemen.
The condition of eight persons at JJ hospital was
said to be critical. However, there are no casualties
so far, Dean of JJ hospital T P Lahane told reporters.
Some of the affected persons were discharged after
getting treatment. Currently, 78 persons are recuperating out
of which eight are in the Critical Care Unit due to
respiratory problems and 14 in Medical Intensive Unit for
throat problems, Lahane said.
"Due to intake of chlorine gas patients have developed
breathlessness and are facing burning sensation in eyes, on
face and hands", the JJ Hospital Dean added.
The fire brigade personnel rushed to the spot to plug
the leakage. Four fire officers took ill after inhaling the
gas and were taken to hospital for treatment.
The gas leakage was reported at 0315 hours from BPT
premises located near Lal Bahadur Shastri college of Maritime
and Research Studies, a fire brigade official said.
Maharashtra Health Minister Vijay Kumar Gavit and
Mayor Shraddha Jadhav visited the affected area.
The Mayor told reporters that three agencies --
Police, BMC and BPT are jointly conducting a probe into the
She said according to preliminary reports the gas
apparently leaked from one of the 100 cylinders stored in the
The cylinders had been seized by Customs almost a
decade ago and have been lying in the BPT premises since
then, she said.
The Mayor said experts from Pune had been summoned to
plug the leakage and take precautionary measures. People
residing in and around the area have been evacuated as a
Last July, 12 villagers took ill due to chlorine gas
leak from an abandoned cylinder from three villages of
Bhiwandi in nearby Thane district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset