Geared up to face drought situation: Centre
Chennai: Government today said the spectre of drought over a few states and the likelihood of a lower rainfall pattern this year should not be a concern for a "panicky situation," as it is geared up to face the situation with enough stocks of foodgrains and sugar.
Last year the production of both foodgrains and sugar had overshot the estimate leaving the government with adequate resources for the coming years, Union Minister of State (In-charge) for Food K V Thomas said.
"As for foodgrains, the Government of India is the largest stockist. FCI (Food Corporation of India) storage as on date is to the tune of 82 million tonnes. What I need for Public Distribution System (PDS) is just 55 million tonnes," he said in his inaugural address at the third edition of `FoodCon 2012` here.
The government had stocks of rice for a year and wheat for three years and there was no need to worry though he warned of "shortage" of vegetables, fruits, edible oil and other essential items like pulses. These were being imported.
"With advanced review, we can face the drought. There is no need for a panicky situation," he said while noting that IMD had forecast a 23 per cent shortage in monsoon.
Parts of Karnataka, Maharashtra and Rajasthan besides some areas in Central India were affected becasue of the low rainfall and a subsequent drought-like situation, he said.
He, however, noted that the production of both foodgrains and sugar last season had overshot the estimates by a large margin, leaving the "granaries full."
The record foodgrains production of 245 million tonnes in 2010-11 was likely to be surpassed in the 2011-12 crop year, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price