Geetika Sharma suicide case: Court grants bail to Gopal Goyal Kanda
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Tuesday granted bail to ex-Haryana minister Gopal Goyal Kanda, an accused in airhostess Geetika Sharma suicide case.
Additional Sessions Judge Yashwant Kumar had last week fixed March 04 for order after the Delhi Police and Kanda`s counsel concluded their submissions.
Requesting the court to grant him bail, Kanda`s counsel Kapil Sankhla said the former minister has been in judicial custody for the last 18 months and the charge of sexual exploitation against him was dropped by the Delhi High Court.
The Delhi Police opposed the bail plea, saying the former minister could influence witnesses if he is released on bail.
Additional Public Prosecutor Rajiv Mohan had claimed Kanda had given false documents related to treatment of his wife at a government hospital here to secure bail.
The prosecution claim was opposed by the counsel for Kanda, who had told the judge that it is a typographical error and if the police want they can verify from the hospital.
Kanda had approached the court on February 17 seeking bail on the ground that he has to look after his ailing wife.
He said he is under judicial custody for the last 18 months and the probe into the case has also been completed.
Kanda`s counsel had also told the court that the charges of sexual exploitation has been dropped against him by the Delhi High Court and earlier bail applications of his client were rejected on the ground that there were serious charges of sexual exploitation against him.
Kanda had surrendered before the police on August 18, 2012 while Aruna Chadha, Kanda`s employee and co-accused in the case, was arrested on August 08, 2012.
The High Court had recently granted bail to Chadha.
The trial in the case had begun on May 27 last year when the court recorded the statements of eight witnesses, including police personnel and the doctor who had conducted the postmortem of the victim.
Chadha and Kanda are accused of abetting the suicide of the 23-year-old former airhostess who was earlier employed in Kanda`s MDLR airlines.
Both the accused have also been charged with forgery for cheating and harming the reputation of the victim.
The air hostess was found dead on August 05, 2012 at her Ashok Vihar residence in north west Delhi.
In her suicide note, she had said she was ending her life due to "harassment" by Kanda and Chadha.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25