Geetika suicide case: HC notice to Kanda, Chadha on police`s plea to cancel bail
New Delhi: Delhi High Court on Friday sought response from former Haryana minister Gopal Kanda and his employee Aruna Chadha, accused of abetting suicide of former airhostess Geetika Sharma, on a plea of police seeking cancellation of their interim bail granted by the trial court.
Issuing notice to Kanda and Chadha, Justice J R Midha sought their response by October 1 on Delhi Police`s plea for quashing the trial court`s order granting them interim bail.
The court had on September 5 granted bail to Kanda, a sitting MLA from Sirsa, till October 4 to attend Haryana Assembly Session on the condition that he would show his attendance in the House.
Co-accused in the case, Chadha, is also out on interim bail till November 15 to attend religious and family events.
Additional Solicitor General Sidharth Luthra, appearing for police, sought cancellation of interim bail granted to Kanda and argued that the High Court and trial court had already rejected his bail plea keeping in mind the seriousness of the offence.
Citing the High Court`s earlier order, Luthra said it had denied permission to Suresh Kalmadi, facing trial in CWG scam case, in similar circumstances.
He further argued that Kanda is an influential person and if he is allowed bail, "there is high possibility that he would try to use his influence to disrupt the further investigation of the case."
Earlier, Kanda had told the trial court that he should be
released on interim bail as this was the last session of the House, and he needed to attend it to discharge his obligations towards his constituency.
Chadha and Kanda were arrested on August 8 last year and August 18 last year respectively.
Kanda had yesterday moved the trial court for extension of his interim bail, which is to expire on October 4.
The trial in the case began on May 27, this year, when the court recorded the statements of eight witnesses, including police personnel and also the doctor who had conducted the post mortem examination of the victim.
Both Kanda and Chadha are accused of abetting the suicide of 23-year-old Geetika who was earlier employed in Kanda`s MDLR airlines.
They have also been charged with forgery for cheating and harming the reputation of the victim and under the Information Technology Act for sending fake e-mails to the victim.
The former air hostess was found dead on August 5, 2012 at her Ashok Vihar residence in north west Delhi. In her suicide note, she had said she was ending her life due to "harassment" by Kanda and Chadha.
The police had in its charge sheet said Kanda was obsessed with the victim and was putting pressure on her to come back to his company.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- IPL 2015: Not easy for fast bowler to win many MOM in one season, says Ashish Nehra