Geetika suicide: Chaddha in 2-day police custody
New Delhi: Aruna Chaddha, arrested for her alleged role in ex-airhostess Geetika Sharma`s suicide case, was on Thursday remanded to two-day police custody by a Delhi court for interrogation after investigators said she was not cooperating in the probe.
Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (ACMM) Devender Kumar Jangala sent Chaddha to police custody till August 11 after police said that her sustained custodial interrogation is required to unearth the entire conspiracy.
During the hearing the police said that Chaddha`s name was clearly written in Geetika`s suicide note and her interrogation is required as she is not cooperating in the investigation.
Advocate B S Rana, who appeared for Chaddha, opposed the plea for police custody saying that a general statement made by the investigating officer that she is required for custodial interrogation is not a ground to remand her to police custody.
The court, however, allowed the plea of the police saying that the investigating officer (IO) has given the specific ground for seeking police custody of the accused.
"The name of the accused was mentioned in the suicide note of the deceased... In view of the material on record and in view of the IO`s submission, the two-day police custody remand of the accused is granted as prayed," the ACMM said.
Chaddha was arrested yesterday after she was called in for questioning by the police, while Kanda ignored police summons to him to appear before them after rejection of his request for more time made through his counsel.
Geetika Sharma (23), a former air hostess with Kanda`s MDLR airline, had alleged in her suicide note that she was ending her life due to harassment by Kanda and MDLR official Chaddha. Kanda and Chaddha have denied the allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users