Geetika suicide: Key aide of Gopal Kanda arrested
New Delhi: Delhi police on Wednesday arrested controversial former Haryana minister Gopal Kanda’s key aide Aruna Chaddha in connection to Geetika Sharma suicide case.
This is the first arrest in the case. Chaddha, ex-MDLR was taken to custody after questioning by police.
"We have arrested Aruna Chaddha. We have charged her with abetment to suicide and criminal conspiracy," P Karunakaran, Deputy Commissioner of Police (North-West) said.
A senior police official said there was not much clarity in the statements made by Chaddha during questioning.
In her suicide note, Geetika had accused Kanda and MDLR official Aruna Chaddha of repeatedly harassing her, forcing her to end her life.
Former Haryana minister Gopal Kanda, who is facing the heat in the Geetika murder case, failed to turn for questioning by the Delhi Police today.
Meanwhile, Kanda moved a District and Sessions court in Rohini court complex seeking anticipatory bail, fearing his arrest.
Kanda’s lawyer did come to the police station seeking a three more days for his client to prepare his defence but the police rejected the request and asked Kanda to make available for questioning at the earliest.
A former air hostess with Kanda`s now defunct MDLR airline, 23-year-old Geetika Sharma was found dead on Sunday at her Ashok Vihar residence in north-west Delhi.
MDLR executive Mandeep was questioned by the police today. As per reports, the SIM card used by Kanda to make calls to Geetika was in Mandeep’s name.
Geetika’s family is demanding a CBI probe into her death even as the Police have added Section 506 (criminal intimidation) of IPC to the already registered a case of abetment to suicide against Kanda on the basis of the suicide note.
However, Kanda has rejected claims by Geetika’s family that he had led her to commit suicide. Speaking to a news channel, Kanda said, "Somebody is misguiding Geetika`s family."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’