Gehlot pays tributes to fallen Indian soldiers in Israel
Haifa: Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot has laid a wreath at the memorial of Indian soldiers here, appreciating the decision of the local municipality to include stories of these soldiers in its history textbooks.
Paying tributes to the soldiers, Gehlot said that he wanted to visit the memorial during his trip to Israel to pay his respects to the fallen soldiers on behalf of the people of his state.
A large number of Indian soldiers sacrificed their lives in this region during the World War I and nearly 900 are cremated or buried in cemeteries across Israel.
The Indian Army commemorates September 23 every year as Haifa Day to pay its respects to the brave Indian soldiers of the cavalry regiment of Indian Army consisting of Jodhpur, Mysore and Hyderabad lancers who helped liberate the city in 1918.
Residents of the Israeli city also celebrate Haifa Day the same day with a series of cultural programmes during the week.
Captain Aman Singh Bahadur and Dafadar Jor Singh were awarded the Indian Order of Merit (IOM) and Captain Anop Singh and 2nd Lt Sagat Singh were awarded the Military Cross (MC) as recognition for their bravery in this battle.
Major Dalpat Singh (MC) of Jodhpur Lancers is known in the annals of history as the `Hero of Haifa` for his critical role in the Liberation of the city. He was awarded a military cross for his bravery.
Haifa municipality during last year`s celebrations had said that it will include the stories of the Indian soldiers in local history textbooks so that the youngsters could appreciate their role in liberating the city from Turks after almost 402 years.
He appreciated Haifa municipality`s decision to include stories of brave Indian soldiers in its history textbooks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- None of your concern, says Indian Army after China's warning over deployment of BrahMos missile in Arunachal
- PHOTOS: BRUTAL! Randy Orton receives 10 staples after Brock Lesnar's assault at SummerSlam
- Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag appeals for peace in Kashmir
- Start dialogue process for peace in Kashmir, Ghulam Nabi Azad tells government
- Preggers Kareena Kapoor Khan to be Sabyasachi's showstopper at LFW finale?