Gen (Retd) JJ Singh debunks Chinese String of Pearl Theory
Chandigarh: Former Army Chief General (Retd) JJ Singh on Friday debunked the Chinese String of Pearl Theory and said the assertion that India is countering it by improving relations with Japan and other South Asian countries does not hold much ground.
Speaking on "Challenges Ahead in India and China Relations" at Panjab University here, General (Retd) Singh said, "Even the assertion that India is countering the Chinese String of Pearl Theory by improving relations with Japan and other South Asian countries does not hold much ground."
The programme was organised by the India China Friendship Association as part of China Day celebrations.
The former Army Chief said India need not fear China as its nuclear power is a deterrence, which India did not have during the 1950s and 1960s.
General (Retd) Singh, who is studying the McMahon Line in a new light, indicated that both countries should decide as to how much history could be stretched about this crucial line.
Indicating that negotiations will challenge the pre-conceived notions, he said an early solution to the boundary issue is being felt by both countries.
General (Retd) Singh, who was the first Chief of the Army Staff, to lead a tri-service delegation to participate in joint training with China, said joint trainings will bridge the trust deficit.
Even the Chinese President had expressed similar views on the issue of joint exercises, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH