Gen Singh advised me on CI ops, disclosing it will be embarrassment: Gogoi
New Delhi: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Tuesday joined the ongoing controversy over Gen (retd) VK Singh`s statement on Jammu and Kashmir politicians, saying if he discloses the former Army chief`s advice to him years ago, it would be big embarrassment for everyone.
Gogoi said Gen Singh, as the then commander of Army`s Eastern Command, had met him a few years ago and had given certain advice on counter insurgency operations.
"If I reveal what V K Singh had advised me to do, it would be embarrassment to everybody," he told reporters here.
Gogoi, however, refused to disclose Singh`s advice.
The Chief Minister said the former top Army officer told him that if the advice was honoured and the plan is executed, it would serve the country`s interests.
"He might have advised me in good faith and according to him in national interests. But I do not think it was in national interest," he said.
Gogoi said those who occupy high offices, should maintain secrecy after their retirement and Gen Singh should not have behaved the way he was doing.
"Dignity should be maintained," he said.
Under attack over reports that attempts were made to topple the Jammu and Kashmir government during his tenure as Army Chief, Gen Singh yesterday claimed that "certain ministers" in the state are given money by the army for "stability" and that this has been going on since independence.
However, facing fire over his yesterday`s statement, the former Army chief today sought to do damage control by saying it was not a bribe but aimed at creating goodwill among people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part IV
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part V
- Why is India indulging in peace talks with Pak despite its terrorism-inducing diplomacy?
- Why is India indulging in peace talks with Pak despite its terrorism-inducing diplomacy? - Part II
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- Congress lawmakers to quit if SC ruling on SYL canal goes against Punjab
- CPN (Maoist Centre) chairman Prachanda all set to become new Nepal PM
- Swachh Bharat, Skill India 'transformative' schemes: President Pranab Mukherjee
- Restless Leg Syndrome: Treat the disorder with this amazingly simple trick! - Watch video
- Boris Johnson claims India owes UK multi-million pounds