Gen Singh advised me on CI ops, disclosing it will be embarrassment: Gogoi
New Delhi: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Tuesday joined the ongoing controversy over Gen (retd) VK Singh`s statement on Jammu and Kashmir politicians, saying if he discloses the former Army chief`s advice to him years ago, it would be big embarrassment for everyone.
Gogoi said Gen Singh, as the then commander of Army`s Eastern Command, had met him a few years ago and had given certain advice on counter insurgency operations.
"If I reveal what V K Singh had advised me to do, it would be embarrassment to everybody," he told reporters here.
Gogoi, however, refused to disclose Singh`s advice.
The Chief Minister said the former top Army officer told him that if the advice was honoured and the plan is executed, it would serve the country`s interests.
"He might have advised me in good faith and according to him in national interests. But I do not think it was in national interest," he said.
Gogoi said those who occupy high offices, should maintain secrecy after their retirement and Gen Singh should not have behaved the way he was doing.
"Dignity should be maintained," he said.
Under attack over reports that attempts were made to topple the Jammu and Kashmir government during his tenure as Army Chief, Gen Singh yesterday claimed that "certain ministers" in the state are given money by the army for "stability" and that this has been going on since independence.
However, facing fire over his yesterday`s statement, the former Army chief today sought to do damage control by saying it was not a bribe but aimed at creating goodwill among people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'