Gen Singh upbraids officer before leaving office
New Delhi: A few days before his retirement, former Army chief Gen VK Singh punished an officer in connection with a failed intelligence operation in Assam, after the Colonel was accused of planting stories about tapping of Defence Ministry phones by the Army.
"I direct that my censure in form of `Severe Displeasure` be conveyed to Colonel G Srikumar of 3 Corps Intelligence and Surveillance Unit (CISU) presently posted at the Headquarters 4 Rapid Division," Gen Singh wrote in the order issued to the officer.
In the same case, the former Army chief had issued a showcause notice to 3 Corps Commander Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag and Brigadier Abhey Krishna of the same formation for "lapses" on their part and "abdicating responsibility".
In the showcause notice issued to Lt Gen Suhag, Gen Singh had said that "it was also learnt that Commanding Officer, 3 CISU during his absence from unit on leave was masquerading in Delhi and interacting with the media giving anti-organisation stories".
The Army had alleged that Srikumar was one of the three officers facing action for planting stories against the army while he was on leave from December 18 to January 8.
The Army had recently accused retired Lt Gen Tejinder Singh along with a few serving officers of planting stories in the media about tapping of phones of various senior Defence Ministry officials by its personnel during the age controversy involving Gen Singh.
The snooping issue had come to light on February 16 when an Army Intelligence team, tasked with carrying out debugging of Ministry phones, suspected tapping of phones, but this was denied by the army.
It said there was discrepancy in the telephone lines, which caused an alarm, but no such thing was found during the subsequent checks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!