Gen Singh`s US visit to focus on Afghan drawdown, gun purchase
New Delhi: Withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan and the issue procurement of ultra light howitzers are expected to be high on the agenda of Army chief General Bikram Singh during his four-day visit to the US starting on Monday.
During the three-day tour, Gen Singh would also be inducted in the US Army War College `Hall of Fame`. He had done a course from there in 2004, Army officials said here.
"The visit assumes special significance in the light of enhanced defence cooperation between the two countries over the last few years and rapidly increasing defence engagements under the new framework for India-US defence relations," an Army release said.
During the India visit of his US counterpart, Gen Singh had raised the issue of withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan and the resultant security situation in the region after that.
He had expressed his concern over the emerging security scenario there.
The Army chief is also expected to discuss the ongoing defence procurement cases between the two sides including the procurement of M-777 ultra light howitzers which are being bought from the US.
Noting that present cooperation between the two sides was on a rise, the Army release said it "encompasses equipment procurement, exchange of delegations, training and conduct of joint exercises. It is notable the US undertakes maximum number of joint exercises with India amongst all nations."
During his stay, the Army chief will visit important establishments of the US military and meet a number of high- ranking defence and civilian officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead