Gen VK Singh Hazare`s new Kejriwal?
Mumbai: A joint media briefing by Anna Hazare and former Army chief Gen VK Singh here on Monday indicated the latter has replaced Arvind Kejriwal in the social activist`s scheme of things.
On more than one occasion, Singh replied to queries directed at Hazare, expounding on the new startegy of the anti-graft movement.
He was seen fielding "tricky" questions addressed to Hazare, coming out with his own explanation while doing so.
Hazare had also served in the Army and his admiration for the General was evident as he announced their plan of a nationwide tour.
"We are not just two people. Lakhs and crores will come onto the streets to support the movement," Hazare said.
On his part, Gen Singh slammed the current system for "completely ignoring" the principle of a welfare state enshrined in the Constitution and surrendering to market forces.
"The existing governmental system has completely disregarded the soul and spirit of the Constitution. Part 4 of the Constitution, the Directive Principle of State Policy, has been blatantly ignored. Not just the government but also the Opposition is silent over this issue.
"The question that comes up is as to who has given the right to ignore the core philosophy of Constitution? Government’s policies are supposed to be for the well-being of poor masses but these are somehow being made to help the private companies to make profit. No one is questioning these policies in Parliament," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand