Gen VK Singh takes potshots at PM
New Delhi: Former Army chief Gen VK Singh has taken potshots at the functioning of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who was "expressing helplessness in matters" that should have been trivial.
In his autobiography `Courage and Convictions`, the former chief said he had briefed the Prime Minister about his visit to Myanmar and told him "in no uncertain terms as to what was happening or rather, what was not happening".
"The Prime Minister listened most carefully and said in a resigned manner that `General saab, ab yeh to procedural problems hain` (these are procedural problems). We are trying," the former chief says in the book.
"How many times I had heard this before. I lost count years ago. Here was the Prime Minister of India, expressing his helplessness in matters that should have been trivial," he says.
Giving details of his visit to Myanmar, he said the issues were related to handing over of road rollers to the Myanmar government for building roads there for which the expenditure was not more than Rs 20 crore.
Gen Singh said despite the `Look East Policy` propagated by the Prime Minister, for 15 years, the oil exploration offered by Myanmar was "lying in someone`s pending tray".
"We were left making indignant noises while think tank experts got another reason to talk about China`s growing influence all around us," he said.
On the issue of creating a National War Memorial, he said he had met Prime Minister`s then Principal Secretary T K A Nair on the instructions of Defence Minister A K Antony.
"He (Nair) was very receptive and said he would put people to work. Many reconnaissance trips were made but nothing emerged. As usual, there was a labyrinth of pressure groups, various turf battles and of course, a sad mindset that this issue concerned only armed forces," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Delhi horror: Pedophile held for sexually assaulting 600 girls
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre