Geospatial mapping to detect areas without schools
New Delhi: The Government has proposed to
undertake geospatial mapping of the states with regard to the
unavailability of primary, secondary and higher education
institutions to ensure that no areas are left without schools
This exercise will help the Government to get information
for setting up institutions as per the requirement, so that no
area is left unattended, HRD Minister Kapil Sibal said at the
Parliamentary Consultative Committee meeting.
He said the mapping would also help students exercise
the choice of institutes for study.
According to officials in the HRD Ministry, the problem
lies in the uneven distribution of resources. While on the one
hand there are areas which have a large number of schools and
colleges, there are also places which have little access to
At the consultative meeting held recently, some of the
members underlined that teaching should be multi-lingual so
that the students of different regions are able to express
themselves in a variety of ways.
Some others also favoured better coordination between
NCERT and the SCERTs.
Sibal said that while their aim is to make vocational
education an important element of secondary education, the
Ministry will seek to make the curriculum flexible to
address the skill sets and vocation of a particular region
and make it relevant in everyday life.
Yesterday, replying to a question in Parliament, he
said the Government is open to seeking foreign investment in
the vocational education sector, a key thrust area under which
training schools will be set up across the country to develop
skills of students at the 10+2 level.
A lot of foreign investment is being planned for
vocational education which will train students in various
areas including paramedical and the hospitality sector.
"We have decided to constitute a National Vocational
Education Framework (NVEF) within the next one year," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof