German Bakery blast: Govt says case "unsolved"
Mumbai/Pune: The claims of Mumbai`s Anti-Terror Squad of having cracked the German Bakery case seems to
have hit a roadblock with a key accused claiming that he had
been detained several weeks before the blast and senior Home
Ministry officials terming the case as "unsolved".
Notwithstanding the charge sheet filed by ATS holding
Himayat Beig as an accused in the Pune blast, which took place
on this day last year killing 17 people including foreigners,
the police is yet to answer many queries regarding the blasts
including the triggering mechanism and the modus operandi
adopted by the perpetrators.
Baig, who has been granted audience with his counsel A
Rehman, has contended that he was picked up by ATS weeks
before the blast at Pune`s German bakery had taken place in
connection with a petty crime.
"He told me that he had been picked up by police weeks
before" the blast, Baigh`s advocate Rehman said.
While the advocate is trying to make his defence from
the 2,700 pages of the chargesheet in which he claims names of
witnesses have been allegedly removed, in Delhi, Union Home
Secretary GK Pillai has termed the case as "unsolved" along
with the blast cases in Delhi`s Jama Masjid area and Varanasi.
Asked whether the investigations into the German
Bakery case were complete, Pillai said, "Still it is
unsolved…" and added that the modus operandi used in the Pune
blast was different from that in Varanasi and Delhi.
The chargesheet has left many questions unanswered
including the way in which the blast was triggered though ATS
chief Rakesh Maria had maintained before reporters that the
blast detonated using a mobile phone alarm.
However, according to the sources, nothing has been
mentioned about the triggering mechanism in the charge sheet
and the forensic analysis of the blast site had nothing to
suggest presence of any mobile instrument.
Maria, after showing arrest of Baig and naming him as
Lashker-e-Toiba chief for Maharashtra, had committed a faux
pas when he claimed that the accused had been present in Pune
where as ATS Deputy Inspector General, Ravindra Kadam, who was
posted in Pune, rejected that Baig had ever visited the city.
Rehman had recently submitted that the ATS has
conducted the investigations and has filed a chargesheet
against Baig and wanted to know the names of witnesses so that
he could prepare his defence.
Rehman said he was facing practical problems in
reading the chargesheet, determining the role of witnesses and
preparing the defence as the names of witnesses were allegedly
omitted from the chargesheet at the time of supplying copies.
The ATS had claimed that the blast was carried out by
Indian Mujahideen and Lashkar but the hate mail from banned IM
after the Jama Masjid blast in September last year had accused
the ATS chief of trapping "innocents" in the German Bakery
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda