German Chancellor Angela Merkel to be awarded Indira Gandhi Peace Prize 2013
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: German Chancellor Angela Merkel will be the recipient of Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development for 2013.
The 59-year-old Merkel will be given the prestigious award for her leadership during the trying financial crisis and her stewardship of German economic growth, Indira Gandhi Memorial Trust announced.
The award will be given by Indira Gandhi Memorial Trust lauding her commitment to universal peace and disarmament and her leadership role in strengthening productive.
An international jury headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh selected Merkel for the coveted award.
Merkel, who became the first woman to be elected as Chancellor of Germany, has been a strong supporter of close relations with India.
The two countries close ties with PM Manmohan Singh visiting Berlin earlier this year and finalising Germany`s role in the Green Energy Corridors Project. Similarly, Merkel had visited India in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Indian Army prepares to secure Arunachal Pradesh from China
- Banning cash transactions over Rs 3 lakh under consideration: CBDT
- Both US and India have been tolerant nations since their existence: Acharya Lokesh
- Narsingh Yadav dope case: Grappler took banned substance intentionally, claims CAS
- New Hyundai Elantra launched in India: Know all about price, features
- Shocking! Indian surgeons remove 40 knives from cop's stomach (Watch)