German Chancellor Angela Merkel to be awarded Indira Gandhi Peace Prize 2013
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: German Chancellor Angela Merkel will be the recipient of Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development for 2013.
The 59-year-old Merkel will be given the prestigious award for her leadership during the trying financial crisis and her stewardship of German economic growth, Indira Gandhi Memorial Trust announced.
The award will be given by Indira Gandhi Memorial Trust lauding her commitment to universal peace and disarmament and her leadership role in strengthening productive.
An international jury headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh selected Merkel for the coveted award.
Merkel, who became the first woman to be elected as Chancellor of Germany, has been a strong supporter of close relations with India.
The two countries close ties with PM Manmohan Singh visiting Berlin earlier this year and finalising Germany`s role in the Green Energy Corridors Project. Similarly, Merkel had visited India in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users