Germany condoles loss of lives in Leh flash floods
New Delhi: Germany has condoled the loss of lives in the flash floods in Leh in Jammu and Kashmir and thanked Indian authorities for their efforts to search for German nationals, about 100 of whom are stranded there.
In a letter to External Affairs Minister SM Krishna, German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle said, "It is with great shock that I have learned about the catastrophic
consequences of the heavy rains in Ladakh, which have cost the lives of so many persons."
Offering condolences to Krishna and the families of the victims, he said, "I sincerely hope for the speedy recovery of all survivors of this tragedy."
Westenwelle also hoped that those who are still in the affected area can be brought to safety as soon as possible.
"I would also like to express to you my heartfelt gratitude for the help and excellent cooperation extended by Indian authorities while searching for German tourists who
have been and who still are in the region," he said in the letter.
The German Embassy press release said it is estimated that approximately 100 German nationals, including tourists and those working in various projects in Ladakh, were stranded due to the flash floods in Leh.
Andre Alexander, project leader of the NGO `Tibetan Heritage Fund` has been entrusted with the task of overseeing the rescue and evacuation operations of the German Nationals,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip