Germany welcomes Indian Parliament’s vote on FDI in retail
New Delhi: Germany on Sunday suggested that India will have to open itself up to the outside world if it wants more growth, but remained vague on whether it will have close ties with Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi like the United Kingdom.
"If you want to have more growth for India, you need to open to the outside. I think Indians know that and that`s why they have taken this decision," German Ambassador Michael Steiner told reporters here.
He said the decision in favour of FDI in retail by India was "not in interest of foreign companies but in its own interest".
"There was quite an intensive debate and a fair debate but in the end, it was a good result," Steiner said.
Last week, Parliament voted in favour of allowing FDI in retail sector over which the Government faced criticism from the opposition and even some of the parties which supported it.
Asked if Germany would improve its ties with Modi like the UK, he said, "We know the position of the UK and we know that there is an election campaign going on. This election campaign is in its hot phase. There is no reason for action now. We cross this bridge when we come to it."
Recently, the UK government suggested that it would like to improve its relations with Gujarat and its Chief Minister Modi.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists