Get act together before LS polls: CWC to govt
New Delhi: With Congress` debacle in four states being attributed to price rise, government on Thursday came under fire at the meeting of the extended Congress Working Committee with leaders asking it to get its act together before the Lok Sabha elections.
Government should turn proactive to roll out measures that would benefit the `aam aadmi` like raising the limit of subsidised LPG cylinders from nine to 12 and eschew from steps like petrol price hike, the Congress leaders said.
Petroleum Minister M Veerappa Moily was `cornered`, a member said, adding that leaders insisted that the government should not delay a decision on the issue of LPG cylinders.
Kerala PCC chief Ramesh Chennithala was in the forefront of the attack. "It needs to be pondered whether we are going ahead with liberalisation that has a human face," he is learnt to have said in the meeting.
Chennithala, whose state Kerala is dominated by the Left discourse, opposed FDI in retail. AICC general secretary Madhusudan Mistri, who is close to Rahul Gandhi, also spoke on the need for policies with a pro-poor face. There was also a demand that there is a need to "revisit" the economic policies.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Finance Minister P Chidambaram, who were present, did not speak in the meeting.
After the defeat in the four states, party chief Sonia Gandhi had said that price rise was one of the reasons.
A section in the Congress has been emphasising the need for rolling out more subsidies in petrol and diesel and take other populist measures to change the adverse political atmosphere ahead of the Lok Sabha polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP