Get act together before LS polls: CWC to govt
New Delhi: With Congress` debacle in four states being attributed to price rise, government on Thursday came under fire at the meeting of the extended Congress Working Committee with leaders asking it to get its act together before the Lok Sabha elections.
Government should turn proactive to roll out measures that would benefit the `aam aadmi` like raising the limit of subsidised LPG cylinders from nine to 12 and eschew from steps like petrol price hike, the Congress leaders said.
Petroleum Minister M Veerappa Moily was `cornered`, a member said, adding that leaders insisted that the government should not delay a decision on the issue of LPG cylinders.
Kerala PCC chief Ramesh Chennithala was in the forefront of the attack. "It needs to be pondered whether we are going ahead with liberalisation that has a human face," he is learnt to have said in the meeting.
Chennithala, whose state Kerala is dominated by the Left discourse, opposed FDI in retail. AICC general secretary Madhusudan Mistri, who is close to Rahul Gandhi, also spoke on the need for policies with a pro-poor face. There was also a demand that there is a need to "revisit" the economic policies.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Finance Minister P Chidambaram, who were present, did not speak in the meeting.
After the defeat in the four states, party chief Sonia Gandhi had said that price rise was one of the reasons.
A section in the Congress has been emphasising the need for rolling out more subsidies in petrol and diesel and take other populist measures to change the adverse political atmosphere ahead of the Lok Sabha polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Manipur HSLC Result 2016, BSEM HSLC Class 10th Results 2016, Manipur Board HSLC (10th Class) Results 2016 to be declared on May 24
- Sensex falls for 4th day on Fed rate hike caution
- Divyanka Tripathi, Vivek Dahiya to marry on July 8
- Ageing is not bad at all, Sushmita Sen explains why!
- Open spaces in Delhi, NCR could be used by anti-national elements, say security agencies