Getting justice a Herculean task for common man: Singhvi
Jodhpur: Criticising the "inordinate delay
and exorbitant cost" of getting Justice, Supreme Court Judge G
S Singhvi on Saturday said that judiciary has to go to the common
man and villagers to restore the faith in the system.
While admitting that this common man is normally averse
to approach courts, he said it is unfortunate that our system
is miserably plagued by an inordinate delay and exorbitant
Singhvi was addressing judicial fraternity here as a
chief guest of the inaugural session of two days` national
seminar on "Access to Justice for the Socially and
Citing the lack of knowledge in common man in accessing
the judicial system, Singhvi called upon the lawyers that
they should go to the common man specially the villagers
atleast once in a month and make them aware of their legal
rights for the redressal of their grievances.
He said that it is a time that we think of justice minus
courts and chalk out a system beyond the courts in order to
give justice to the common and disadvantaged lot.
"It is irony that justice comes first in any civilised
society but here even after 6 decades of the independence, we
are still struggling with the idea of social justice," he
Talking about the alternatives, he said that the concept
of "Gram Nyayalaya" is a good step towards that direction and
recommended that in order to keep the faith of the villagers
in judicial system, the word "nyayalaya" should be eliminated
as common man is normally horrified when it comes to going to
His views were endorsed by many other eminent speakers,
which included the Chief Justice of Rajasthan High Court Arun
Kumar Mishra, President of the Confederation of Indian Bar
Pravin H Parekh and Chairman of the Rajasthan Bar Council N S
Choudhary, who said that cheap and easy justice is still a
riddle in India, which amounts to the failure of the Indian
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery