Ghatowar returns to Union Cabinet after 20 years
New Delhi: It was a long journey for
Paban Singh Ghatowar from his humble beginning as a leader of
the tea tribe community in Assam to becoming a Minister of
State with Independent charge in the Union Cabinet.
The five-time Dibrugarh MP first entered the Lok Sabha
in 1991 after a long innings in the Indian National Trade
Union Congress, Assam, where he was general secretary, working
for the welfare of several lakh tea garden labourers engaged
in over 1,000 tea estates.
Reacting to his appointment as Minister of State
(Independent charge) in the DoNER, Ghatowar told PTI that he
would try his best to work for the welfare of the eight
"I will try to bring development to every nook and
corner of the Northeast. All existing projects will be
expedited on a priority basis with the active cooperation of
the state governments," he said.
Ghatowar, 61, first became a Deputy Minister in the P
V Narasimha Rao government and was later made a Minister of
State for Health and Family Welfare.
The former Assam Pradesh Congress Committee chief has
been elected to the Lok Sabha continuously since 1991 barring
once and after his election in 2009, he was made the Chief
Whip, Congress Parliamentary Party, Lok Sabha.
Ghatowar`s wife Jibontara is an MLA in Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31