Ghatowar returns to Union Cabinet after 20 years
New Delhi: It was a long journey for
Paban Singh Ghatowar from his humble beginning as a leader of
the tea tribe community in Assam to becoming a Minister of
State with Independent charge in the Union Cabinet.
The five-time Dibrugarh MP first entered the Lok Sabha
in 1991 after a long innings in the Indian National Trade
Union Congress, Assam, where he was general secretary, working
for the welfare of several lakh tea garden labourers engaged
in over 1,000 tea estates.
Reacting to his appointment as Minister of State
(Independent charge) in the DoNER, Ghatowar told PTI that he
would try his best to work for the welfare of the eight
"I will try to bring development to every nook and
corner of the Northeast. All existing projects will be
expedited on a priority basis with the active cooperation of
the state governments," he said.
Ghatowar, 61, first became a Deputy Minister in the P
V Narasimha Rao government and was later made a Minister of
State for Health and Family Welfare.
The former Assam Pradesh Congress Committee chief has
been elected to the Lok Sabha continuously since 1991 barring
once and after his election in 2009, he was made the Chief
Whip, Congress Parliamentary Party, Lok Sabha.
Ghatowar`s wife Jibontara is an MLA in Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview