Gherao MPs opposing Jan Lokpal: Hazare
Ralegan Siddhi: Social activist Anna Hazare on Saturday urged people to `gherao` houses of MPs opposed to the Jan Lokpal bill.
"We should gherao the houses of MPs opposing the Jan Lokpal bill. They should not be allowed to come out," the 74-year-old told a meeting of anti-corruption activists in his village of Ralegan Siddhi in Ahmednagar district.
He also asked people not to re-elect such MPs.
"It is our duty to ensure that those MPs who are not supporting the bill should not be re-elected. No one should vote in their favour," he said.
The meeting that started Saturday morning will have different sessions that would discuss the future course of action for the Jan Lokpal bill for which Hazare undertook a 12-day fast last month in New Delhi.
The meeting was attended by around 45 people from India Against Corruption, which backed his fast, and other groups. Key participants included Arvind Kejriwal, Shanti Bhushan, Prashant Bhushan and Kiran Bedi.
Hazare ended his hunger strike in New Delhi Aug 28 and returned to Ralegan Siddhi a few days later. He had addressed a massive public rally in the village Sep 2 when he warned that the struggle against corruption would be long and difficult.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Know more about 5000-year-old Shiva Linga
- BlackBerry announces DTEK50 smartphone with Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- Mobile communication partially restored in Kashmir Valley
- Madhavan delighted with 'Saala Khadoos' being lauded in Canada
- Ranveer Singh's 6-pack abs will give you serious fitness goals! Watch video