Gherao MPs opposing Jan Lokpal: Hazare
Ralegan Siddhi: Social activist Anna Hazare on Saturday urged people to `gherao` houses of MPs opposed to the Jan Lokpal bill.
"We should gherao the houses of MPs opposing the Jan Lokpal bill. They should not be allowed to come out," the 74-year-old told a meeting of anti-corruption activists in his village of Ralegan Siddhi in Ahmednagar district.
He also asked people not to re-elect such MPs.
"It is our duty to ensure that those MPs who are not supporting the bill should not be re-elected. No one should vote in their favour," he said.
The meeting that started Saturday morning will have different sessions that would discuss the future course of action for the Jan Lokpal bill for which Hazare undertook a 12-day fast last month in New Delhi.
The meeting was attended by around 45 people from India Against Corruption, which backed his fast, and other groups. Key participants included Arvind Kejriwal, Shanti Bhushan, Prashant Bhushan and Kiran Bedi.
Hazare ended his hunger strike in New Delhi Aug 28 and returned to Ralegan Siddhi a few days later. He had addressed a massive public rally in the village Sep 2 when he warned that the struggle against corruption would be long and difficult.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Chikungunya outbreak in Delhi: Symptoms, tips to stay safe!
- Hal Shashti Vrat 2016: What is the significance of Balaram Jayanti!
- Good news for Vaishno Devi pilgrims! Shrine Board to announce new route soon - Know details
- Samsung's 1st Tizen powered 4G smartphone Z2 launched at Rs 4,590; comes with free Jio SIM
- All-new Hyundai Elantra launched in India, price starts at Rs 12.99 lakh