Gherao MPs opposing Jan Lokpal: Hazare
Ralegan Siddhi: Social activist Anna Hazare on Saturday urged people to `gherao` houses of MPs opposed to the Jan Lokpal bill.
"We should gherao the houses of MPs opposing the Jan Lokpal bill. They should not be allowed to come out," the 74-year-old told a meeting of anti-corruption activists in his village of Ralegan Siddhi in Ahmednagar district.
He also asked people not to re-elect such MPs.
"It is our duty to ensure that those MPs who are not supporting the bill should not be re-elected. No one should vote in their favour," he said.
The meeting that started Saturday morning will have different sessions that would discuss the future course of action for the Jan Lokpal bill for which Hazare undertook a 12-day fast last month in New Delhi.
The meeting was attended by around 45 people from India Against Corruption, which backed his fast, and other groups. Key participants included Arvind Kejriwal, Shanti Bhushan, Prashant Bhushan and Kiran Bedi.
Hazare ended his hunger strike in New Delhi Aug 28 and returned to Ralegan Siddhi a few days later. He had addressed a massive public rally in the village Sep 2 when he warned that the struggle against corruption would be long and difficult.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- India deeply appreciates US' engagement in Asia-Pacific: Ashton Carter
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative