Gherao MPs opposing Jan Lokpal: Hazare
Ralegan Siddhi: Social activist Anna Hazare on Saturday urged people to `gherao` houses of MPs opposed to the Jan Lokpal bill.
"We should gherao the houses of MPs opposing the Jan Lokpal bill. They should not be allowed to come out," the 74-year-old told a meeting of anti-corruption activists in his village of Ralegan Siddhi in Ahmednagar district.
He also asked people not to re-elect such MPs.
"It is our duty to ensure that those MPs who are not supporting the bill should not be re-elected. No one should vote in their favour," he said.
The meeting that started Saturday morning will have different sessions that would discuss the future course of action for the Jan Lokpal bill for which Hazare undertook a 12-day fast last month in New Delhi.
The meeting was attended by around 45 people from India Against Corruption, which backed his fast, and other groups. Key participants included Arvind Kejriwal, Shanti Bhushan, Prashant Bhushan and Kiran Bedi.
Hazare ended his hunger strike in New Delhi Aug 28 and returned to Ralegan Siddhi a few days later. He had addressed a massive public rally in the village Sep 2 when he warned that the struggle against corruption would be long and difficult.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'