Gillard to take forward uranium sale issue
Bali: Australian Prime Minister Julia
Gillard on Saturday made it clear that she would take forward her
proposal to lift ban on uranium sale to India as she met Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh here.
Singh and Gillard, who are here to attend the ASEAN and
East Asia Summits, had a `pull-aside` meeting during which the
"I am taking the change of policy to my party conference
in December," the Australian Prime Minister told reporters
after the meeting.
Giving indications of overturning Australia`s long-held
position, Gillard on November 15 had said, "The (ruling) Labor
Party`s current platform prevents us from selling uranium to
India, because it (New Delhi) is not part of the Nuclear
Non-Proliferation Treaty. I believe the time has come for the
Labor Party to change this position."
She gave three reasons for her decision. Firstly,
exporting uranium to India would be good for the Australian
economy and help create jobs. Uranium currently contributes
over 750 million Australian dollars to the Australian economy.
Secondly, she said. "Australia faces a unique set of
opportunities in this -- the Asian century, where we live in
the right region of the world which will see strong economic
growth and India as a rising giant will be part of that strong
economic growth, so put simply, our best possible partnership
with India is also good for Australian jobs."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog