Girija Vyas to help poor and generate employment
New Delhi: Implementing the government`s livelihood mission aimed at allaying poverty in urban areas would be a priority, the new Minister of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation, Girija Vyas said on Tuesday.
Vyas took charge of the ministry this afternoon with a prayer and chanting of mantras at her new office in Nirman Bhawan.
She asked her ministry officials to work harder to "make the most of the short time" available before the tenure of UPA-II government comes to an end in less than a year.
The minister told reporters that she would make all efforts to ensure tabling and passage of the Real Estate (Regulation and Development) Bill and the Street Vendors Bill, which have been approved by the Cabinet.
"Social service has always been my priority and I want to help the poor. I want to start working for poverty alleviation especially in urban areas without wasting any moment. Just as MNREGA is aimed at employment in rural areas, the livelihood mission is aimed at urban areas. We will work hard to make the most of the short time," Vyas said.
She said the UPA government had paid serious attention to fighting poverty in urban areas.
The Real Estate (Regulation and Development) Bill was passed by the Cabinet recently and is likely to be moved in Parliament in the monsoon session. Ajay Maken, Vyas` predecessor in the ministry, had got Cabinet nod after much effort as some sections were opposed to it. The Bill is aimed at bringing more transparency and fairness in real estate transactions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video