Give all details regarding AAP`s registration: HC to ECI
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday asked the Election Commission(EC) to give complete details of registration of the Aam Aadmi Party with it.
A bench of Acting Chief Justice B D Ahmed and Justice S Mridul directed the EC to file an affidavit indicating the factual position of AAP`s registration.
The poll panel will have to state in its affidavit whether it acted in accordance with law while registering the party.
"Counsel for the respondent (EC) to file an affidavit indicating the factual position behind registration of AAP," the bench said, adding "Give us a short affidavit taking a stand that you acted in accordance with law".
The court listed the matter for further hearing on May 8.The order came while hearing a plea by Hans Raj Jain, who has alleged that provisions of State Emblem of India (Prohibition of Improper Use) Act has been violated by AAP as its registration application contained the `chakra` logo as depicted in the national flag.
He has also challenged AAP`s registration alleging that it used forged documents to register itself with the poll body.
The court, meanwhile, suggested to Jain that if he feels that there has been a violation of law by AAP, then he should seek sanction from the Central Government to lodge a complaint against the party.
During the proceedings, EC said that it had received complaints against the registration of AAP and it had written to the party which had said that it will not be using the `chakra` as an emblem/symbol.
It also said that the Act does not apply in this case as under the statute, the a national emblem cannot be used "for the purpose of any trade, business, calling or profession...." and a political party is more like a "social organisation".
It also contended that it is not the competent authority to enforce the provisions of the Act, in case of violation.
Under the Act, penalty for using national emblem for wrongful gain is imprisonment for upto two years or fine which may extend to Rs 5,000 or both.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Anti-burkini law would be `unconstitutional`: French minister
- Researchers find way to boost gene-editing tool efficiency
- British PM to put stamp on Brexit before G20 summit
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank