Give all details regarding AAP`s registration: HC to ECI
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday asked the Election Commission(EC) to give complete details of registration of the Aam Aadmi Party with it.
A bench of Acting Chief Justice B D Ahmed and Justice S Mridul directed the EC to file an affidavit indicating the factual position of AAP`s registration.
The poll panel will have to state in its affidavit whether it acted in accordance with law while registering the party.
"Counsel for the respondent (EC) to file an affidavit indicating the factual position behind registration of AAP," the bench said, adding "Give us a short affidavit taking a stand that you acted in accordance with law".
The court listed the matter for further hearing on May 8.The order came while hearing a plea by Hans Raj Jain, who has alleged that provisions of State Emblem of India (Prohibition of Improper Use) Act has been violated by AAP as its registration application contained the `chakra` logo as depicted in the national flag.
He has also challenged AAP`s registration alleging that it used forged documents to register itself with the poll body.
The court, meanwhile, suggested to Jain that if he feels that there has been a violation of law by AAP, then he should seek sanction from the Central Government to lodge a complaint against the party.
During the proceedings, EC said that it had received complaints against the registration of AAP and it had written to the party which had said that it will not be using the `chakra` as an emblem/symbol.
It also said that the Act does not apply in this case as under the statute, the a national emblem cannot be used "for the purpose of any trade, business, calling or profession...." and a political party is more like a "social organisation".
It also contended that it is not the competent authority to enforce the provisions of the Act, in case of violation.
Under the Act, penalty for using national emblem for wrongful gain is imprisonment for upto two years or fine which may extend to Rs 5,000 or both.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune