Give details of action taken in Hussain`s painting issue: CIC
New Delhi: The Central Information Commission on Friday directed the Home Ministry to disclose whether it had sought a report from Intelligence Bureau on the controversial art work of celebrated painter MF Hussain and the final decision taken by the ministry over the intelligence reports.
Considering that reports from the intelligence agencies are exempted from disclosure under the Right to Information Act, Information Commissioner Sushma Singh asked the ministry to at least inform whether it sought any report from it.
The Commission said though IB reports are exempted from disclosure, it cannot be said about the final action taken by the Home Ministry on the basis of those reports.
Home Ministry officials agreed before the Commission that IB was roped in the matter but did not specify in what manner. They told the Commission that they would check the records and tell to RTI applicant SC Agrawal through a formal reply only.
On the report of seeking views of Law Ministry on the issue, the officials told the Commission that no reference was ever made to the ministry on Hussain`s paintings.
The case relates to RTI application filed by Agrawal, who had sought to know from the Home Ministry a number of questions regarding the role of IB, reports, recommendations and other related issues regarding the controversial paintings
The ministry rejected the application saying disclosure of information would prejudicially affect the sovereignty and integrity of India, the security, strategic, scientific or economic interests of the State, relation with Foreign State
or lead to incitement of an offence.
It also said the disclosure would affect communal harmony and peace.
The officials today reiterated that giving details of intelligence reports on the issue could "further sharpen the communal divide in the country."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch