Give power of police and finance, Bodos tell Chidambaram
New Delhi: The Bodoland People`s Front Monday
urged the Centre to provide financial and police power to the
Bodoland Territorial Council, an autonomous administrative
body within Assam.
A delegation of BPF, headed by its chief Hagrama
Mohilary, met Home Minister P Chidambaram and urged him to
allocate Central funds directly to the BTC instead of routing
thorough Assam government and also bring police under it.
"The Home Minister gave us a patient hearing and assured
us to look into our demands," Mohilary told reporters.
Mohilary, who is also chief of BTC, said work in five
Bodo dominated districts have been hampered as very limited
financial power has been given to the autonomous body.
He said controlling authority of police in the BTC area
should also be given to it. At present, the Assam government
controls law and order and finances of the BTC.
The BTC was formed after a Memorandum of Settlement
signed by the Government of India and the erstwhile Bodo
Liberation Tigers (BLT), which was spearheading a bloody
movement demanding a separate state for the Bodos in Assam, on
February 10, 2003.
Later, in the same year, Hagrama, the then chief of BLT,
was elected as the chief of BTC, which comprises twelve other
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow