‘Give proper compensation or return farmers` land`
Issru: Punjab unit of Congress has
demanded compensation for the farmers of Mansa at prevailing
market rates, for the land acquired for the Gobindpura power
"The land holdings in Mansa, where the land had
been acquired, were quite small and the rate offered by the
government, Rs 23.77 lakh per acre was less than half of the
market price," Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee President
Capt Amarinder Singh said.
He announced that he would lead his party`s morcha in support of the protesting farmers from September 2.
Addressing the party`s political conference on the
occasion of Independence Day here yesterday, Amarinder
supported the protesting farmers saying, the government had
robbed them of their precious possession.
The PCC president questioned the very motive of the
Akali-BJP government to acquire land for a private company
"What is more intriguing is that the government
handed over the land to Indiabulls without any competitive
bidding," he alleged.
The standard procedure for allotting a power project is
through competitive bidding and global tendering, he said.
"In this case they did everything clandestinely with a
company which has no experience of generating power," he
The former chief minister condemned the use of brute
force against the farmers who are not allowed to go to their
On August 2, one farmer was killed and 15 others
sustained injuries as the police lathi-charged a large group
of farmers protesting against acquisition of land for setting
up 1350 MW thermal power plant at Gobindpura village in Mansa
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad