Give Raj Bala`s autopsy report to family: SC
New Delhi: Terming government`s attitude as
"unfair and unfortunate," the Supreme Court on Friday directed the
Delhi police to furnish the postmortem and medical reports to
the family of Raj Bala who died of injuries during police
action on Yoga guru Ramdev`s protest at Ramlila Grounds.
A bench of justices B S Chauhan and Swatanter Kumar
passed the direction after counsel Kumud L Das counsel for Raj
Bala` s family told the court that the family was running from
pillar to post for obtaining the post mortem and medical
reports but Delhi police were not cooperating.
"It is very unfair and unfortunate on your part. You give
the postmortem and medical reports to the family," the bench
told Delhi police and government counsel present.
The apex court also asked Delhi police to respond to the
affidavit by Raj Bala`s son Anil Malik who claimed his mother
had suffered serious injuries in the police lathicharge and
died as a result of it.
"Because of her severe injury caused by the police
personnel, she was taken to the emergency ward of Lok Nayak
Jai Prakash (LNJP) Hospital, Delhi, and was admitted there.
"My mother told me that when she was on the stage of
Ramlila Maidan with Swami Ramdev, police had beaten people who
were on the stage, including her, with lathis and slaps,
because of which she fell on the stage and became unconscious.
"I further submit that I and my family members present
with me saw the injuries caused by lathis on her waist and
feet and we got her X-Ray and C.T. Scan done,"the affidavit
The bench later posted the matter for further hearing to
The apex court had on June 6 taken suo motu cognisance
of the police action and asked the Centre and Delhi Police to
explain why it resorted to such an action in the middle of the
night against the yoga guru and his followers.
Delhi Police, in its affidavit on the pre-dawn swoop at
Ramlila Maidan, denied the allegation that it had used force
to evict the yoga guru and his supporters from the site and
claimed teargas shells were fired only after Ramdev`s
supporters turned violent and pelted stones on the police.
Justifying its action, police had said the authorities
granted permission to Ramdev to use the ground only to hold a
yoga camp and not for any other purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why