Give Raja, Kanimozhi bail: Jaswant Singh
New Delhi: DMK MPs Kanimozhi and A Raja as well as others accused in the 2G spectrum scam should be given bail, says senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader and former external affairs minister Jaswant Singh.
"Why should they be? In what fashion are they interfering?" Jaswant Singh asked in an interview with a news channel. The controversial stance came after he was asked whether the main accused, including Kanimozhi and former telecommunications minister Raja and former bureaucrats in the communications ministry, should not be behind bars.
"I feel that if somebody has been charged and that charge is not of heinous nature like robbery, murder or any such thing... when trial is on, then that somebody should not be kept in prison because you can`t permanently deny bail."
"Bail by itself is a citizen`s right unless he is charged with such a crime that it must not be permitted," Jaswant Singh said.
These, he said, were his personal views. However, he added that he did not think the BJP was for keeping the accused permanently in jail
"I`m speaking as an individual. I`m not speaking for the party. I don`t think the BJP has said `keep them permanently in jail`."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm