‘Give Rajapaksa Bharat Ratna for wiping out LTTE’
New Delhi/Colombo: In remarks that are bound to create controversy, Janata Party president Subramanian Swamy has said that Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa should be awarded India’s highest civilian award, Bharat Ratna, for exterminating LTTE.
In an interview to a newspaper, Swamy said since LTTE (Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam) was an anti-India outfit and President Rajapaksa’s government eliminated it, he deserves India’s highest honour.
So far, only two non-nationals - Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan (1987) and Nelson Mandela (1990) – have been awarded Bharat Ratna.
Swamy also hit out at “Sonia Gandhi and her Italian family” for providing covert support to the LTTE.
Swamy, a known opponent of the LTTE, gave the interview during a private visit to the island nation.
In remarks made separately, Swamy had described President Rajapaksa as a "determined and resolute leader", adding the Tamils must be made to feel that the defeat of the LTTE was not the defeat of the Tamils as a minority in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!