Giving Bharat Ratna to Tendulkar was big mistake: Uma Bharti
Indore: BJP vice president Uma Bharti on Friday said no cricketer who has taken part in the IPL auction should be considered for the Bharat Ratna award.
"Awarding Bharat Ratna to Sachin Tendulkar was a big mistake and after IPL, no cricketer should be considered for the top civilian honour," she said, adding that she was personally not against him.
Players who were auctioned in IPL should not be considered for the top honour, Bharti said.
"How a cricketer who had sold himself in Rs 4-5 crore in IPL auction could be given the Bharat Ratna?" she asked.
The BJP leader said she likes the game and during her tenure as Union Sports Minister she had even recommended a number of former cricketers for the prestigious Arjuna award.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?