Giving Bharat Ratna to Tendulkar was big mistake: Uma Bharti
Indore: BJP vice president Uma Bharti on Friday said no cricketer who has taken part in the IPL auction should be considered for the Bharat Ratna award.
"Awarding Bharat Ratna to Sachin Tendulkar was a big mistake and after IPL, no cricketer should be considered for the top civilian honour," she said, adding that she was personally not against him.
Players who were auctioned in IPL should not be considered for the top honour, Bharti said.
"How a cricketer who had sold himself in Rs 4-5 crore in IPL auction could be given the Bharat Ratna?" she asked.
The BJP leader said she likes the game and during her tenure as Union Sports Minister she had even recommended a number of former cricketers for the prestigious Arjuna award.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH