GJM announces fresh indefinite strike
Kolkata: The Gorkha Janmukti Morcha on Thursday
announced a fresh indefinite strike in government offices in
Darjeeling from next week, in an apparent bid to put pressure
on the Centre on its demand that the next round of tripartite
talks on Gorkhaland be held at political level within 45 days.
"There will be an indefinite strike from December 28 in
central and state government as well as offices of the
Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council to press our demand for
Gorkhaland," GJM general secretary Roshan Giri told PTI today
An indefinite strike in government offices from December
17 called by the Janmukti Karmachari Sangstan had earlier been "suspended" to facilitate the fourth tripartite talks in
Darjeeling on the Gorkhaland issue on December 21.
Banks, post offices and LIC would remain outside the
purview of the fresh strike call.
The indefinite hunger strike which was relaxed two days
ahead of the tripartite talks following an appeal by Union
Home minister P Chidamabaram, would also resume from December 26, Giri said.
"It will be a relay hunger-strike which will continue
Tripartite talks on Gorkhaland in Darjeeling on December
21 had failed to reach an agreement with the Centre saying
political consensus needed to be created and the GJM demanding political-level dialogue within 45 days.
‘Resolution through talks’
As the GJM today announced a fresh
indefinite strike in government offices from December 28 in
Darjeeling, Union Finance minister Pranab Mukherjee expressed hope that Gorkhaland issue would be solved through dialogue.
"In a democracy, there is no way of finding a solution
except though dialogue," Mukherjee told reporters this
evening, when asked to comment on the Gorkhaland issue.
Stating that a round of tripartite talks had been held
this week in Darjeeling, he said, "They have agreed to meet
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video