GJM leaders to meet Chidambaram today
Darjeeling: A team of Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM), which has expressed disappointment over recommendations of a panel report over inclusion of new areas in the proposed hill council here, will meet Union Home Minister P Chidambaram in Delhi on Tuesday.
GJM general secretary Roshan Giri today said a five-member delegation led by party president Bimal Gurung might also meet Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee the same day.
"We will take up with the Home Minister the Justice (Retd) Shyamal Sen Committee report", Giri said.
The judicial committee, set up to look into GJM`s demand for inclusion of 396 mouzas under the new hill council, Gorkhaland Territorial Administration`s ambit, had recommended inclusion of five mouzas in it.
Sources said the team`s visit to Delhi was intended to know the Centre`s mind on the issue of inclusion of new areas in the GTA.
"After meeting the Union Home Minister, we will seek an appointment with Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee," he said.
The chief minister had said in the state Assembly on June 22 that election to the GTA would be held before formation of its board and that the panel`s report was not liked by some.
After GJM expressed disappointment over the report, the government decided to form a three-member verification panel headed by an IAS officer to look into recommendations of the judicial panel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!