GK Pillai retires as Union Home Secretary
New Delhi: GK Pillai hangs up his boots
with his stint as the Union Home Secretary making this mild
mannered and fearless bureaucrat one of the popular top rung
officials during the UPA rule.
Pillai(61), who retired today after completing his two-
year tenure in the challenging post, handed over charge to R K
Singh, a 1975 batch IAS office from Bihar cadre. He always
wore a smile and has been one of the most accessible home
secretaries for the media.
Pillai had a busy last day meeting a stream of people
who had gathered at his North Block office to bid adieu.
He took charge of the ministry barely six months after
the country had witnessed the deadliest terror strike in
Mumbai on November 26, 2008 in which 166 people were killed.
Pillai was actively involved in the daunting task of
overhauling the security apparatus of the country and ensuring
close coordination between various intelligence agencies
working under the ministry.
During his tenure, Pillai has never shown signs of being
overwhelmed by any difficult situation -- be it the German
bakery blasts or a Maoist attack or the challenging security
issues during Commonwealth Games.
Pillai always made himself available to the media and
almost unfailingly quickly gave a preliminary assessment of
any situation--be it Maoist attack or natural diasters or
His quick briefings for the media gave no scope for any
ambiguity especially during times when speculation ruled the
roost in the absence of correct inputs.
Pillai, a strong supporter of reform of the security
forces, set out the priorities for himself soon after he took
over: Kashmir, Maoist insurgency and the northeast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- India finds promising natural gas hydrates in Bay of Bengal
- Borussia Dortmund deny reports of Manchester City's EUR 70 million bid for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Kapil Sharma aka Kappu's Twitter account 'hacked'! – Know who did it
- More than 37,000 flee South Sudan for Uganda: UN
- World to end in a global apocalypse this Friday on July 29?