`Glaring anomalies` in pension for Service personnel: Antony
New Delhi: Admitting that there are "glaring anomalies" in pension system for Service personnel, Defence Minister AK Antony on Tuesday said `one-rank, one-pension` for retired armed forces will be implemented in a phased manner and efforts are being made to reach "nearer to the goal".
Replying to a debate in the Rajya Sabha on functioning of the Defence Ministry, he shared the sentiments expressed by members of the House and said armed forces cannot be equated with civil servants or para military forces as most defence personnel retire between the age of 35 and 40.
"There are glaring anomalies," he said, talking about the pension scheme, adding the government would address "most glaring issues immediately".
When asked if he had gone through the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Defence report which has suggested one-rank, one-pension, Antony answered in the affirmative and added that he shares the concerns of the ex-defence personnel.
Antony said he had a meeting with three Service Chiefs recently in connection with the issue and it was pointed out that it was not possible to implement the scheme in one go.
A Parliamentary Committee in its report last year had asked the government to implement the long-pending demand of OROP by the retired armed forces personnel.
Under the OROP, retired defence personnel are demanding that all ex-servicemen should get similar pension for putting in equal years of service and retiring at the same rank irrespective of their date of retirement.
At present, the pension depends on the pay commission under which they have retired.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Buying your dream home in Gurgaon to get cheaper; circle rates might be slashed
- Shame! This man approached UP Police to register complaint, was forced to polish cops' shoes instead – Watch
- Mood swings! What's on Parineeti Chopra's mind?
- WATCH: IPL 2016 final highlights: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs SunRisers Hyderabad
- Fast, stretchy circuits could revolutionise Internet of Things!